Tuesday, December 11, 2007

new rule

I'm on record for calling grad school for theater artists a waste of time and money. In some cases, graduate programs are perpertrating what amounts to fraud, taking massive amounts of money from young people or their parents and implicitly promising a thing they cannot deliver: a career in the industry. I tell students and others thinking about grad school to move to LA, Chicago or New York and start working. Volunteer to be someone's assistant. See every show you can. Audition for and take every job. If you're a writer, start writing. Et cetera.

It's all about flight time. If you want to be a pilot, you need flight time. The more hours you've logged actually in the air, the better you're going to fly. The more time you've spent actually on the stage, or in the rehearsal room with actors, or having actors and directors and designers talk to you about your play, the better you're going to be at your craft.

So, I'm establishing a new rule here at the Dime Museum.

No more grad school recommendations. My last one will be Chris Taylor, an excellent young playwright I met down at Rowan University. He's looking at Northwestern and from what I can tell, he's looking for the right reasons and while it's still a big mistake, it's one he's making with his eyes wide open. Plus, I promised him.

But that's it. I will no longer be a party to the hoax. If you're applying for a grant or a gig, I'm your man. But school's out around these parts.

No comments: